blog for 4/3/10

on Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Hey guys sorry for the late blog

Would like to say thanks for those who showed up and I would like to pray for those who didn’t because they needed rest. Hope the holy spirit re energizes u guys with rest and scripture =)

So this week was a very quiet night. We started off at Queen Street and went down towards brittomart and up Albert, to the church and then back onto queen and headed up towards k road.

What I’ve noticed over the last month or 2 of homeless is that less and less people are sleeping outside St Mathew’s church. It use to be a populated area of homeless people wither they were sleeping there or getting drunk there but I have noticed that there are next to no people there when we arrive on homeless nights.
I’ve also noticed fewer numbers of homeless people on the streets. Praise god for this that they are getting into warmer homes for winter however it reminds me we have to be more urgent with our message about Jesus. We may never see our homeless friends again.

I don’t know about the other leaders in this project personally myself I aim to help the homeless showing them love and care and hopefully showing them Jesus. As most of us know the parable of the rich man as it is harder for the rich man to get into heaven, well these guys aren’t rich, they are absolutely poor but thus with this it is rational for them to be more spiritually aware and depend on god more for the things they need to survive.

This week I encounter 2 people who I’ve had interesting conversations with. One person called John who was checking out the guy who plays the guitar outside BK by star bucks. He has been on the streets for about 8 years and had a conversation about where we were from and stuff. (NB: it’s interesting that many of the homeless ask what churches were from). Found out that he got into a series of unfortunate events that lead him to live out on the streets. It was problem after problem. However he did mention he use to attend manukau new life church. He said lately he has been attending there and recommended me to go. Praise god for him willing to hold onto you lord after all of life’s struggles. May he not be the seeds strangled by the thorns of life worries but utterly depends on you.

I also met this guy called Shaun. If you guys read our blogs about 4 months ago we ran into a guy called Shaun. I call him spear of destiny Shaun cause that’s what we talked about in our first meeting. So he had told us that he had just come back from Napier to look after his mum as she now has been diagnosed with allsimiest (can’t spell it, but memory loss and delusional). So he had just gotten back a few days before lantern fest. He smelt pretty bad that night but I felt the conversation was worth more than the smell. We spoke about his views of the spear of destiny again and also he mentioned the spiritual realm. He believes there are 7 levels of heaven and 7 levels of hell and did mention that at 9/11 when the terrorist bombings happened he was at mt Eden and he said he felt a spirit touch him. “Divine spirit”. And he went on to mention the women in Luke 7 as if he had been anointed. It was a rather interesting conversation however I kept trying to point it back to Jesus. Shaun from my opinion and my meetings and understanding of him is an open Christian and is still learning more and exploring more about his faith. Please pray for guidance for him to find his faith in scripture and that the Holy Spirit will guide him to revelation about gods Son and our Saviour Jesus.

Well that’s all for me today maybe ill update next week
god bless you all and I hope all is well with you.

Duncan