What's your response?

on Wednesday, March 24, 2010

[Enter Post Title Here]


Thursday 11/03/2010
Hey guys
First of all I would like to apologise for being kinda slack with the blogging for homeless
as some of you may know, I’m doing a Ministry INTernship Year this year (aka MINTY) through TSCF which is taking up a lot of my time

to start of the night a bunch of us went a talk at the AU business building which was called has science disproved god.
was just good to go to get our minds set on god before we went out even thought they were speaking in science terms I didn’t understand much:P

we then met up outside macas at 8:30 per usual and already a large group of homeless guys had appeared knowing we would be there and wanting food.
These include our regulars of shadow, Andrew and mark. It’s been a while so I can’t quite remember who else showed up at that moment but it was good to have them all come to us that night.
That night we also had some new comers coming to this for the first time. So to them I say welcome =).
While most of the homeless guys left there were a few that stayed behind. One Lee had a great conversation with was a rather old lady in her 50’s I assume but she was struggling to get by yet was a sister in Christ.

I came into contact with a Guy called PJ. I’ve seen him once or twice but ended up having a really intense conversation about the role of God. It was provoked when I what he thought about Jesus. He did mention that he was a catholic and has been his whole life and did then go on to say he thinks god’s not doing his job. I then proceeded to ask why, curious to find out more. He then went on to explain that God’s not doing his job properly as he felt like his life had been suffering. Working really long hours and really hard yet it wasn’t enough. Possible saying god wasn’t providing for him. Then went on to dispute this in finding out what suffering to him was, in compared to kids in Africa. I also then went to challenge him saying but gods already saved you with the salvation of Jesus Christ, what more do we need. Yet he felt that was not an adequate answer or response to anything. He then proceeded to say yes we believe in the same god but when he comes again I will kick his Butt! At this point I found it rather amusing in my head as to a mere human could beat god but the intensity in his eyes were rather scary. It breaded out that he really wanted to hurt god or get back at him. We the ended up on a good note and went our separate ways.

The next event or person I Cleary remembers meeting for the night was a man called Eddie. He came and met us at the bus stop where Alvin and Kevin normally hang. To me meeting him tonight was kinda like a Gem. He was a little intoxicated yet also he had a slur or slow of speech. However this did not stop him talking to us. We spoke and made jokes of me driving a “pimped” out car however if you’ve seen my car its “pimped out” in bird poop. And also compared cars to females how cars are better. I was kinda left speechless not knowing what to reply in that instance as one of the new girls was right next to me. Plus it was a rather crude joke but he had no mean intentions about it, just wanted us to get along and laugh. Almost felt like there was a connection of family while speaking to him. Though out the conversation he did mention that he was a follower of god and did manage to quote some passages as to how he gets by. The main one I remember was when he spoke of not worrying, as god will care for us. He was so humble and care free about it. What a contrast to PJ, yet both conversations had just really opened my eyes more of how some of us respond to god.
Now heading towards the end of the night we went under the Grafton Bridge. Yep it was pretty scary especially for the new people but it had started becoming a familiar place to me. Walking though the words of rose ran in my head”what do I have to be afraid of; the dead can’t hurt me, only the living can.” As we called down we saw James sitting in his spot reading his book. There was also a rowdy bunch of people on the other side of the cemetery drinking. James told of why he came to the streets and his future dreams and plans of going to Canada to be a truck driver again. He said he came onto the streets because it felt like a break from life for him. Less worries about the things of life such as appointments, deadlines, jobs, money. What I saw from him was true contentment for his life. He also told us this funny story. One night he was sleeping under the bridge in his sleeping bag and a rat ran on top of him. As it was on top of him James got a fright and flung his arms in the air sending the rat flying. “Thud”. The rat had hit the ceiling and fell to the ground. As James watched from his sleeping bag afraid the rat slowly got up and proceeded to walk away in a drunken hazy state. He he. Silly rats aye

well guys that’s as much as I remember from that night, hope you guys enjoyed the read and do decide to come. Same time some place. 8.30 outside maca’s on Queen Street on Thursday. These homeless guys never cease to amaze me. = feeling a bit blessed now =)

anyways guys good night, God bless yah
Duncan