Being the Floating Buoy

on Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Hey guys this is the blog for what happened on the 28/01/10.
I found this passage tonight while checking messages after coming back from parachute and I feel this full describes as to why we commit to helping those of the less fortunate. Actually, not just the homeless but as part of our Christian walk, helping anyone and everyone.
"Hebrews 13:1-2 - Keep on loving each other as brothers. Do not forget to entertain strangers, for by so doing some people have entertained angels without knowing it."

So to start of the night we met at Macas on Queen Street at 8:30 but because so many people had other commitments there were only 3 of us to do homeless this week. We headed up towards upper queen and found Fatboi at his usual spot by the bus stop however this time he was surrounded by about 7 people. They looked quite rough looking and being intimidated by them we decided we would come back later to Fatboi later in the evening.

We then met a guy called Henry sitting at the park bench close to the white house. He was rather old and had tatty looking clothes and carried a big bag which looked liked he carried a sleeping bag with. He was from out west and he use to be a streetie and as he did say the others were towards lower queen referring to others as other streeties. He was in town just waiting for his girlfriend though.

We then moved up the street and I happened to see a guy out of the corner of my eye and stumbling and walking funny. We approached them and got to know them a bit more. One guy was called Steve Flowers and the other one was called Edwin. They were a little bit intoxicated hence the stumbling. Edwin looks at about 28ish and he was walking funny. We were then told by Steve why and that was because He had suffered some trauma to the left side of his brain and that is why the right side of his body was functioning properly. Steve told us he was from Whangarei and use to live a comfortable life driving a porche around town. He had a blonde wife with 6 kids. However he is an alcoholic and thus is why he is no longer with his family. He told us he is a brother in Christ and felt that we was blessed to meet some people who was giving him food and was very kind. He use to go to promise keepers up in Whangarei. He said that he had felt like god had taken his rich life style away from him so now he lives in a tent in the Auckland domain. His temptation is still a fighting battle with alcohol which he loses his battle to very often. Steve looks to be in his mid 40’s and also is looking after Edwin out of his own heart. They say they are happy living and doing life together and Steve did say out of everything he’s seen in his life Edwin was the most beautiful thing in his eyes and he loves him as a brother.
I personally felt really touched by this as a man not so well of taking another person in under his wing and taking care of this person whose brain is not fully functioning. To me it showed so much love and heart and it really challenged me to love everyone I see.
We then travelled up towards the Grafton Bridge and Michael had said there were older streeties that live under the bridge. This involved walking through the cemetery at about 9pm which was fairly dark. Feeling unsecure we prayed and then entered. Walking in we then saw a few heads moving and talking and until we got closer we realised it was a group of streeties hanging out together in the cemetery. That night we met Paul, Samson, Brownie, Puwai, Rose, Eddie and James.
I remember asking Rose if it was scary living there as she had said this was her family and this was her home and she had said that she’s not afraid of the dead as they can’t hurt her only the living will harm her. This struck me as I was fearful to walk into the cemetery but what she had said was true to me so all fear for the dead in the cemetery was gone. They were all fairly old except for Puwai and Rose. They were all having a few drinks and just doing life together and really welcomed us into their little community. Brownie Even took me and Mike to see his cool thing which was large rat traps as he was super excited about trying to catch some rats. James was a gentle man and spoke with a lot of kindness and had said he use to follow Jesus but he kind of fell off with him but however the person I connected with the most was with Eddie tonight. Eddie was interesting because he was part of the group but on the edge of the group and would sometimes disappear to the gates then come back.
Eddies family lives around in Onehunga and he said he group up on the streets from 5-14. He said he has 12 kids and was a seven day Adventist goer. This was 10 years ago he said and said he tried to lead a godly life without drinking smoking or swearing to lead a good example for his kids. He then shared that his brother had sex with his wife while he was working and that broke him so he ran of to a place where he knew, the streets. He then told use since then his wife and brother had gotten married yet that night we visited him he had said he was making a very important decision in his life. His kids asked him to come home but he was hurting so bad he felt he could not bear anymore pain. He drinks to numb the emotional pain and when he thinks about it he cries each day. He also said because he hurts so much he doesn’t really want to go home to his kids and really felt like that he wanted to jump of the Grafton bridge that night. When he told me this he said oh well this was his problems and I shouldn’t have to carry his problems. I felt a burning sensation in my heart and it just got heavier so I asked to pray for him. He initially refused but I told him he doesn’t have to do anything just stand there and ill pray over him and so he agreed and bowed his head. As I prayed for him and his situation I felt him play his arm on my shoulder and drawer nearer to me and then at the end of my prayer he hugged me and ended up crying on my shoulder. I then gave him my cross and told him if he felt like jumping think of the cross and the love Jesus had for you. This is the same love your kids have for you. Pure. I also told him if he Jumped think of how his kids would feel as well and how heartbroken they would also feel. He then asked us what church we go to and if there was a church in Onehunga he could attend to try reconnect with god.

We then proceeded to leave for the night to head to Fatboi and just as we were leaving Eddie said thanks and hugged me and told me thank you for listening and caring about him and sharing his problems with him. Also said thanks for praying and said that now he feels a bit of peace in his heart and thinks he will return home to his kids because now he feels like he doesn’t want to jump of the Bridge anymore.
For me this event was just super encouraging for me as I really felt god was with me the whole time. I felt blessed being used by god and having the chance to meet all these people in that night and also to possibly save a life. I really felt like Jesus was all I needed and really just made me grab onto the Jesus more and more.
All in all it was an awesome night. I don’t know how else to explain it.
see you guys the next homeless night

God bless
Duncan