What they need the most?

on Saturday, November 21, 2009

Having gone out just a few times, I'm probably not the most qualified to talk about this. And I certainly haven't walked a mile in their shoes. But what I have observed is that they need warm clothes. Sure they need food and drink, but it is actually fairly common for people to give these, and these are unfortunately perishable. On the streets, its winter all year round so it is very important to have something to keep you warm. City Mission do supply blankets, but blankets seem to be lost or left lying around. I think jerseys and jackets, beanies, gloves and socks are best because they tend to wear them.



So it all started a few weeks ago when I went out with the Salvation Army. I was in the van as it drove up to a large group of homeless people. And they literally swamped over the van looking for some warm clothes. Right there I felt something stir. A need so basic, yet not met. And it was something I could help with. Just the last Thursday when we went out, I packed a large box of clothes (see picture above) and went out hoping I would be able to give it away. The very first group of homeless people happened to be a group of about 7, and they very quickly emptied the entire box!

So I implore all of you, look in your closets for clothes you feel will benefit these people. Look out at the Warehouse, or garage sales for good deals for warm clothes. And pray that we can resource more so that we can clothe more people. We really hope to make it a regular thing.